Friday, March 15, 2013

NOLA {Part 1}

I can't believe its been almost 3 months since our New Orleans trip! It was our "big" trip of the year; we were there from Christmas Eve through the 29th before heading off to LA for a wedding.

Most of the trip was spent walking, exploring, and, of course, EATING! This was our first time in NOLA (first time in the south - minus TX). The culture is definitely unique and enticing. It also felt quite familiar and comfortable, like easing into an old, comfy couch. There was a lot of old, mixed in with the new; and the rebuilding of the city was definitely felt, as well as the love of the citizens for their city.

The architecture was amazing; it really transports you back to a different era:






We also did a swamp tour while in Louisiana. The bus picked us up and drove us out about a half hour to the swamp. During the drive, our driver pointed out different areas where Katrina had hit and the damages that occurred. I wish I got photos of it, but I was too busy soaking it all in. In some places the water was 15-20 feet. Some buildings, like a movie theater, decided to not rebuild, and it still sits there - stranded and debilitated. Then some areas have rebuilt and come back strong. We also got to hear/see the damage on the swamp.





It was winter, so the expectation was that we weren't going to see much wildlife. We did spot a couple of little gators, including one whose jaw was busted open, saw a pelican, a nutria (giant rat). I was most excited about getting to hold a gator!


(Please excuse my ridiculous look, someone said something that made me laugh)

I'll end with one of my favorite scenes from the trip. This was the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel, dressed to the nines for Christmas:

(my photos really don't do this place justice)

No comments: